Tuesday 28 October 2014

Tools, Baby Quilt Finished

It always feels great to sew the last few inches of binding down on a quilt and normally I am super eager to blog about it right away, but this quilt seems have needed more time for everything. It has been my keeping sane project through 2 months of renos, packing, moving, unpacking and settling into a new routine in our new house.

So without further ado. Here it is, the Tools Baby Quilt for my new nephew.


Oops pine cones were falling lots while I took photos.

The straight(ish) quilting on the drill is my favourite.

Instead of making a label I signed my name while I quilted and there is secret message just for my nephew along the bottom.

The big open space in the middle of the quilt was perfect for his name and birthdate

Quilts Stats:
Pattern: Tools, Baby! By Kelli Fannin of http://thatlookslikeitneedsstitches.blogspot.ca/
Size: 48"x 48" (or so)
Fabric: Background is Kona White, most of the colours are from the Kaufman blender line Dazzle. Backing is Shannon Cuddle Light blue dimples.
Piecing: Pieced on my grandma's Husqvarna Viking with 60wt Presencia Thread
Quilting: Freemotion quilted by me on an APQS Millie Longarm with white Glide Tec thread
Binding: Green Dazzle fabric is machine stitched.


Notes:  I really enjoyed putting this quilt together because it came together so easily. I chose to omit the borders because the quilt was big enough to be a good sized baby blanket and I really didn't want to have to piece the minkee/cuddle for the backing. It was fun to free motion quilt this on the longarm and I am eager to try it again to improve my skills. Plus minkee is so wonderfully cuddly for baby quilts and it was so easy to manage it on the longarm.


Thanks for having a look.
GeoMama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.